pinterest instagram email Image Map
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Birth Story (3 months later)

Warning: read at your own risk:)
I’m sure that no one really cares to read this (3 months late), but I am writing it so I have documentation. I still remember it very well and don’t want to forget.
I woke up on Thursday morning, May 27, and thought I was having contractions but wasn’t sure. I hadn’t experienced any at that point and since I had no idea what they were supposed to feel like, I was just guessing. I tried keeping up with them by timing how far apart and how long they were but they were not regular at all and I was distracted by other things.
Mark and I decided that we were going to run some errands for a little while and since our stuff was all packed and ready for the hospital, we thought we would take it with us—just in case. We took one last profile picture before we left and measured my stomach. I’ll spare you that picture and let you know that it was 41 1/4” big. I was large and in charge!
DSC_0507
Out the door we went not knowing when we would return. I decided that since we were running errands (meaning: I was staying the cool car and Mark was going in and out of several places) I would time my “contractions” for one hour. I started the timer on my phone and after an hour of watching anxiously, they showed to be lasting about 1 minute and were 3-5 minutes apart. That was exactly what Dr. B told us what to look for before heading to the hospital. I couldn’t believe that it was here. I really was in disbelief.
Now before I go any further, I have to tell a little story about Mark. He was sure that my water was going to break and that would obviously be the sign to go to the hospital. I reminded him (even after we were told in our class) that not all women’s water breaks so don’t count on it. He was so sure of it that he made us go to Target one night at 10:00 to by a waterproof mattress cover. He told me that he didn’t want to have to stop at a mattress store on the way home from the hospital. So I don’t know how much he thought this was happening or not. No matter what we were making a trip to the hospital at this point-just to check!
2:30 pm-We arrived at the hospital and Mark dropped me off at triage. I walked in and told them about my “contractions” and that I didn’t want to be one of those paranoid women but I thought that maybe I was in labor. They were so nice about it and got all my information and got me checked in.
2:45 pm- They checked me and I was only about 2 centimeters dilated but was fully effaced. They were going to monitor me for about an hour to see if I progressed. Mark sat with me and he called our parents to let them know that we were at the hospital but were not sure if we were staying yet. We watched TV for a while and just hung out. At this point we were sure they were contractions but nothing that was very painful at all.
4:00 pm-They said they were going to keep me and that Dr. B was going to come and deliver me even though it was her night off. She was on call that weekend but not on Thursday night. So, you know you’ve picked a great doctor when she is wiling to come in on her night off. The nurse that was checking on me told me that if I was doing this good through the contractions that it was going to be a breeze. They called Dr. B and she told them to go ahead and move me to labor and delivery.
5:00 pm-Dr. B came to check on me and was going to break my water but they weren’t finished checking me in and doing what they do so she headed home to meet the painters. (Apparently she doesn’t live far). Mark and I hung out in the room and our parents showed up shortly. Contractions-no problem. I was just chilling out asking the nurses lots of questions.
7:30-Dr. B came back to the hospital and broke my water (what an experience). Immediately, my contractions started coming harder and closer together. I really was not prepared for that. I couldn’t catch my breath in-between each one and I started uncontrollably thrashing my body from side to side. Mark kept telling me to breath but I couldn’t catch my breath to be able to breath. I didn’t last long before I called for the anesthesiologist. Before he could give me an epidural, a whole bag of I.V. fluid had to be emptied. They wanted to make sure I had enough fluid in my body. Then come to realize, it was not emptying very quickly because my I.V. was blocked. The nurse fixed it and the anesthesiologist showed up shortly after.
8:00/8:30- The anesthesiologist came in the room and was prepared to give me the shot very quickly. I had to sit up on the edge of the bed and was holding a pillow and breathing into it. He told me to be as still as possible while he was sticking me; all the while having 3 contractions. It was rather difficult but I felt immediate relief. Thank goodness!!! For the next several hours, I took a couple of naps, talked to Mark and our parents, and just waited until it was time.
11:20- The nurse came in and checked me and I was dilated to a 10!!! Dr. B wanted me to “labor down” (still don’t know what that is) for a while. So we sat and waited some more.
12:00- I started pushing and continued for quite some time. They said I was doing fine but he got to the point that he was not moving anymore. Dr. B did helped steer him him the right directions and shortly after
1:28- Jaxon Elliot Rich arrived!
The put him up on my chest for a few minutes for Mark and I to see him. I remember thinking, “I can’t believe that he is finally here and that he fit inside my belly”. A true miracle!!! Then they took him over to the warming bed where they tried to get him to cry like he was supposed to. They sucked some gunk out of his lungs but still not a good enough cry. I remember watching him laying on his tummy with his bottom up in the air and letting out the saddest little cries. Not too long after, the NICU nurses showed up to take him away. They brought him over to me. I gave him a kiss and said goodbye. It was the saddest thing to see him wheeled away in the little cart. I couldn’t hold back the tears. I knew that they would take good care of him, it was just so heartbreaking. I was very thankful to be in a place that had the capabilities to care for him the way that he needed.
Soon after our parents came back in the room and I got some food because I was so hungry. We continued to wait for news on Jaxon’s status. It felt like forever before we heard anything. Finally, our parents and Mark were able to go and see him before they left to get some sleep. On my way to the postpartum room, Mark took me by to see him. He was precious and so helpless laying there. I so wanted to pick him up and hold him but couldn't as he was getting oxygen to help his breathing. We finally got to our room a little before 5:00 for some sleep.
We were so thankful to be at Baylor. The nurses were wonderful and I really was blessed with an amazing doctor.

2 comments:

  1. Great Story! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Momma!! It is SUCH a blessing for the Lord to provide exactly what you need before you even know you need it. When Elizabeth was born, there "just happened" to be a pediatric hematologist at our little Cook's Children's Hospital Clinic in Midland!! Talk about "perfect". He was wonderful and helped us through a really, really scary time. Not long after we needed him, he left Midland.

    ReplyDelete