pinterest instagram email Image Map
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Friday, August 27, 2010

"Sacred Parenting"

Several years ago I was introduced to the book, Sacred Marriage. The basic idea of the book is "What if God designed marriage to make us Holy more than to make us Happy?" I love this book and how it has opened my eyes to what marriage is really all about.

Not long ago I ran across Sacred Parenting and figured that it would probably be well worth the read since it was by the same author. "How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls" such a counter-cultural thought. I haven't finished the book yet but it surely has changed my view of parenting. 

I have only been at it for 3 months now and am reminded daily by family, friends, and the world of how I fail miserably each day. At first I was having a really tough time (and sometimes still do) when people bring to my attention of how I haven't done something either the "right" way or a "good enough for them" way. I am doing everything I can to ignore it but sometimes my human nature just takes over and my attitude is not right.

There are several things in this book that have really helped me forget about what others say and focus on the real matter of it all. 

The first chapter in the book is called Papa God. It talks about why we parent? why we have children? and what these little people can teach us? The author spoke of several reasons why people choose to end up having children.
  1. some single women want someone to love them
  2. some men think it is important to carry on the family name
  3. some think little babies are just so cute
  4. others think having a baby will save a lonely marriage
It just made me so sad to read this and think that some people would bring a child into the world for their own selfish reason. The Lord called us to have children for His Glory not ours. It is not about us, it is about HIM! Another thing that this chapter discusses is that we are the students. Here is a paragraph that I keep reading over and over:
  We live in the midst of holy teachers. Sometimes they spit up on themselves or on us. Sometimes they throw tantrums. Sometimes they cuddle us and kiss us and love us. In the good and the bad they mold our hearts, shape our souls, and invite us to experience God in new and deeper ways. Although we may shed many tears along this sacred journey of parenting, numerous blessings await us around every bend in the road.
So true!!! I have learned so much in this short 3 months that I have been blessed to be a parent.
Another thing that I have come to realize after having conversations with several friends is how so many people view children as a burden. They talk about how having a child will completely change their lives and how they just don't want to make that step. And, I do agree. It does completely change your life. But in such an amazing way that you cannot understand until you are there. I understand that children may not be for everyone, but in no way, shape, or form has my child burdened my life in any way. It has been pure joy and I love this journey God is leading me on. Here is another paragraph that is in the chapter titled "JOY" that I keep reading:
 Yes, parenting can be a lot of work. It absolutely asks a tremendous amount from us and calls us to make many sacrifices. But when we make these sacrifices and the work nears an end, few things are more lovely to behold than a godly family. The joy seeps over the family's experience to reach even a casual observer. 

I really just wanted to share this book. It is amazing and has completely changed my reason and my way of parenting. Even though I am only 3 months into it, I am going about it differently. If you are in need of a good read, I encourage you to pick this one up!!



post signature

1 comment:

  1. Reading your toughts helps me to see that you are such a mature Christian woman. I couldn't want for anything more for you in this life than to have that beauty passed on to your family. You make me so proud to be your mother and to watch you grow into the mother God desires you to be. You're a true blessing to your family!! Love you.
    mom/dede

    ReplyDelete