pinterest instagram email Image Map
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Birthday, Madelyn! (the birth story)

I am writing this down for my own record. And I did write this when she was a couple of weeks old. I am just now getting to uploading pictures!

With the risks that came along with a Lupus diagnosis, my doctor didn't want me to go past my due date, September 26. We were scheduled for an early morning induction on Tuesday, September 25.

I started having contractions on Monday, but they were not consistent and the only way for me to  fully recognize them, was if I sat still. I did a couple of timing tests and was having around 9 an hour. Throughout the day they didn't get any closer, but did get much stronger (much easier for me to tell when I was having one). Midnight rolled around and I told Mark that we were gonna go ahead and go to the hospital.

We got all checked in and into our a room around 2:00 am. At this point I was dilated to a 3. Mark got as comfortable as possible on the couch and proceeded to snore for a while. I was given a little pain medicine (so I could sleep). After about an hour and a half (of no sleep), the nurse checked me again and I was at a 6. It was quite surprising because my contractions were much stronger, but still about 8 minutes apart.

I received my epidural around 5 (sweet relief!!). My doctor came in around 6 to break my water, which was rather difficult. Her head had moved down so far that it made it harder to break. They  also gave me a very small dose of pitocin so that my contractions would cooperate. 

My sweet friend, Amanda, works at the hospital I delivered at and she picked my nurse. Her name was Nora and she was AWESOME!! (She had an intern with her named Savannah who came in the room at one point and asked if she could pray for me and Madelyn. It was so sweet of her.) They showed up around 7:30 and let me know I was dilated to a 10 and to let her know when I needed to push.  

Mark left to go eat some breakfast that his parents brought for him. I told him he couldn't eat in the room because I was hungry!! I also told him to hurry!!

By 8:00 my contractions were much closer and I was feeling the need that it was time to push. I started pushing and about 10 minutes later at 8:19 AM, we heard the sweetest and most perfect little cry. I cannot explain how much I loved hearing that cry (after not hearing Jaxon cry when he arrived, it was music to my ears). 


I held her for several minutes and then they took her to clean her up. They brought her back shortly and I fed her for a while. I had a dear friend that was headed to our house to watch Jaxon so my dad could come to the hospital, but since she came so fast, my dad brought Jaxon with him. 

I am not sure what time they got to the hospital, but they ended up having to wait a while to come meet Madelyn. 

I started feeling very faint, dizzy, and apparently turned really pale. I got sick and threw up and then all of the sudden there were several nurses around me--the one I most remember was the one pricking my hand--it hurt!! Not completely sure what happened next, but my doctor was quickly back in the room with some cart to do something. (I found out later it was a hemorrhage cart). I was out of it at this point, so I don't remember every detail. I had lost a lot of blood so she did her thing and took care of it. They ordered blood for a transfusion, but she was able to take care of the problem with no more complications, so I didn't have to have one. I am sure this is all very confusing, but it shows how aware I was:).

I do remember very clearly looking over to see where Madelyn was. And since all the other nursers were attending to me, the sweet nurse intern was standing by her the whole time...she was such a blessing to have there.

Mark brought Jaxon into the room to meet Madelyn and it was so sweet and fun to watch. We got a video of him meeting her for the first time and took several pictures. He wasn't too sure what to think, but it was sweet to watch. Due to loosing a lot of blood, I was really tired and weak. In fact, I could barely keep my eyes open. I was aware of what was going on and knew that grandparent's had come in the room, but I could barely open my eyes.


Our first picture as a family of four. I was still so weak it was not a good idea for me to hold her.
So far, everything has been so much easier than with Jaxon. Mostly because the hospital stay wasn't as stressful and my recovery has been so much easier!

We are both doing well and getting to know each other. One thing is for sure, I am in love with this baby girl. Thank you, God, for another amazing gift!! 

 
 

post signature

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing! Having a little boy and a little girl is so fun! We are so glad everything is going well. Always fun to see your sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! Thank You, Lord, for your hand of protection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing birth story. The shortness of your labor gives me hope for my second! (Dear Lord, PLEASE let it go faster!!) I am so very proud of you, and I have always looked up to you as a mommy. Love you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a special day! so thankful for madelyn's birth day! loved reading this post!

    ReplyDelete