pinterest instagram email Image Map
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Visit to Rheumatologist

It seems like it took so long for today to get here. Mark and I arrived at the rheumatologist with a mound of paperwork to fill out. Some of the questions were quite humorous to answer since most of their patients are not coming in at 8 months preggo! For example, "Do I have a hard time bending over to pick things up?" Um...yes!! And, "Have you had any recent weight gain?" Of course--a lot, actually:)!

Back to the appointment. She came in and asked about symptoms, but saw my rash and immediately said, "the rash." To most people it looks like a sunburn (or so they say), but there are distinct characteristics it has that points it to lupus. She asked me questions, looked at my blood test results, and then answered a lot of our questions.

I have said this before, but lupus can be hard to diagnose because it can affect a wide variety of organs, and therefore, a wide variety of symptoms can appear. That being said, doctors usually diagnose case by case. Because you are dying to know more about lupus, click here :)! 

Dr. R looked at my physical symptoms and then looked at my blood work and determined that lupus is present. It can show in many forms including systematic lupus (more organ related) and cutaneous lupus (more skin related). As of right now, it looks as though I have the cutaneous lupus which affects the skin. That doesn't mean that it can't progress into something more, but that is where we are right now. 

She suggested that I start taking 2 prescription medications. One is low-dose steroid that will act quickly and most likely help the rash that I have right now. I will only take it until delivery and the dosage will decrease as I get closer to delivery. (the steroid will also help if I happen to get PUPPS again!) She also suggested I take plaquenil (generically referred to as hydroxychloroquine for you medical professionals), which is a common medication among lupus patients. It is used to help regulate the progression of lupus.

I am fine taking the steroid, but the plaquenil is not recommended to be taken if nursing, which is something that is important to me (for many reasons). This is going to be a hard decision that I will not make lightly and will not make without a lot of research. I talked to the specialist today and she gave me some information that we are looking into.

I go back to see the rheumatologist in 2 weeks (chalk my doctor visits to 4 for that week!) and she will check to see if my blood work results have changed. She is retesting because the original tests were done over a month ago and she wants to see if there is much change. 

They (2 of my doctors) had mentioned they would probably deliver early, but after talking to the specialist today, it looks as though they are going to let me go into labor on my own. Yay!!

On another note, Madelyn is doing great!! She continues to progress on target and looks great each time she is monitored. It's fun to see her so much and I have even gotten several 4D sonograms. It is so neat to see her sweet face:).

Praises: Madelyn is doing great!
I still feel good!
My mom and mother-in-law have graciously offered to come every other week to help with Jaxon. I cannot thank them enough!!

Prayers: Continued health for Madelyn and I in the last 6 (ahhh!!!) weeks
Discernment in making a decision about taking the medication. 
That the lupus will not progress, but stay at the mild level that it is now.

post signature

3 comments:

  1. your patience in waiting for this appointment has truly amazed me! i am so glad you have finally gotten some definite answers, and now can make decisions based on the gathered facts. we continue to be in prayer each and every day for you and sweet madelyn!
    xoxo,
    mini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the update. May the Lord continue to protect both of you and provide wisdom and discernment for every decision you face. We love you all so much and will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the update! We will continue to pray. We are thankful you and Madelyn are both so healthy.

    We want to see some of your 4D photos of Madelyn!

    ReplyDelete