pinterest instagram email Image Map
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:28

Friday, August 17, 2012

Potty Training

So, potty training! What a wild ride:). First of all, I really do not like the word "potty," so we use toilet. Not sure why I detest it so much, but I pretty much cringe when I hear someone say it.

 We were going to start on a Monday morning, but our air conditioner broke the night before so we decided to hold off one more day. We stayed at some friends house Sunday night and all day Monday. Monday evening (after a whole new unit had to be installed), husband and I came to the house and rolled up carpets and got things ready to start the next morning.  

We decided to do the "3 day potty training" route. And while it was rough, I am so thankful we took that route and didn't give up--although we almost did!!!

Day One:
We started with a TON of new underwear (and ended up getting more) and let him pick out which ones he wanted to wear first. Several weeks prior we starting taking his dirty diapers and dumping the contents into the toilet. We also talked about the toilet each time I changed his diaper. I was just trying to get his mind going in that direction.


So proud of his car big boy underwear

No rug=towel to sit on.

We did lots of playing. It went fairly well. That morning he didn't have very many accidents. 1 or 2. I started my doctor's appointments the week as well, so husband had to come home and take over while I was gone. He had several more accidents with daddy (not because of daddy, but because of inconsistency between the 2 of us--made the whole process a little more difficult, but we had to due to our circumstances). 




Day Two
No accidents during night 1. We did a late night run to the bathroom and husband got up in the middle of the night to take him, just in case;). More playing!!



The next several days progressively got worse--even though they were supposed to get better. He spiked a fever and threw up on day 3. Day 4 came (Saturday) and husband and I were both home. Worst day ever!!!! 

We talked about it that night and decided to give it one more day. (day 5) If by the end of Sunday, he wasn't doing better, we would go back to diapers and roll out our rugs. We did not want to do this, but I was 8 months pregnant and we didn't HAVE to have him trained. It just would have been nice:).

Sunday, I was gone most of the day and when I came home, he had not had one accident all day!! Yay, daddy!! (and Jaxon) Husband felt as though he was ready so we decided at this point there was no turning back!!

He has done SO well since then. Very few accidents, but some. He had about a month of setbacks and pooped in his pants every day. We got through that and have had not more major incidents. A few minor, but I cannot complain. He has only wet his bed ONCE and it was because we didn't go get him when he called out that he needed to go to the bathroom. A few other times, there has been minor incidents, but we are so proud of him. He has done SUPER well and we couldn't be more please with him!!

Now, this is definitely what we did almost every time we went out. That portable toilet went everywhere with us for a couple of weeks months!

SO proud of you, Jaxon!!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment